Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Re-kindling a fabric obsession...



Despite my best intentions to do very little yesterday, I had a small clear-out of my old drop-front desk (I hesitate to call it antique, but it must almost qualify for that title). It was full of the detritus of life - batteries, old padlocks, pens that no longer work and I cannot tell you how many unused keys. Although  I'm sure it could bring some kind of bad karma to hold onto unused keys (I'm thinking unopened doors, lost opportunities - you get the picture), I cannot bring myself to throw them away. It is as if one day I'll come across a locked door in my home that I had previously been unaware of, and magically produce the key. Consequently, they are now stored in tiny plastic bags elsewhere.
My intention for this desk is to set it up as a work place for small, but nevertheless important, hand made activities. Any time the creative urge strikes, I am forced to pull apart my wardrobe in an effort to reach the small swatches of fabric stored in the back. Of course, the fabric scissors are missing, and have been used for something unseemly like chopping up a chicken. My aim is to centralise all of these things - glue, card, fabric, ribbon, scissors (of course newly purchased) etc. Think small (very small) studio/workshop.
In the process of sorting, and re-sorting, I came across some beautiful fabric that I had put away for (I hesitate to say a rainy day, but yes, just that). I had forgotten how much I love gorgeous, have-to-run-your-fingers-over-it fabric. And so, I am heading out today to source some more, as I can feel the seeds of ideas beginning to sprout.
I'll post some shots of my re-organised desk once it is finished. Have a lovely Tuesday.

this pic from here
top pics via Jane Churchill

1 comments:

Kellie Collis said...

I feel your love! x

Post a Comment