Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Oh no...I think I'm turning green


Gorgeous bags from Envirosax
I have an almost superhuman ability to pigeonhole things in the back of my mind. Convenient, some would say. Others (and I know who you are) would say dysfunctional. However, when spring cleaning recently in that dark recess of my mind I discovered an awful lot of concern/uncertainty about the issues surrounding sustainability. For a long time now I have been filing the stuff that I should be doing away, promising myself I'll get to it soon. I'm not sure why this is. Is it the fear that cleaning with vinegar will have my home smelling like a fish and chip shop? Perhaps the concern that one day I might just need that plastic bag that I refused? Maybe the reluctance to stop spending happy times shopping for new and gorgeous things for my home?
So, after extracting myself from the discomfort of these thoughts, I sat myself down with a cup of tea and started to do some research. Now I realise that I am a latecomer to sustainable living, and don't expect me to go all hippy on you overnight. However, I am aiming to set myself some small-but-achievable goals. The first is to give up plastic bags (is there a patch for that?) The second goal is to know more about the items I buy. The third (and I think I can only cope with three for now) is to reuse more i.e. to find things that have already been produced and reinvent, reframe etc. Doesn't sound so hard, does it?
I'm not sure if three as-yet-unachieved goals allows me to pat myself on the back, but I'm going to anyway. Gotta start somewhere. In the meantime, I have found some lovely places that support some/all of these goals. Pop along and have a look.


All of these gorgeously funky pieces are from Branch. Once you've taken a look at their lovely wares, pop over to the What is Branch? page to read their vision. It is both realistic and inspiring.

1 comments:

Kellie Collis said...

What a fabulous little cushion! x

Post a Comment