Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday is a good day to...




Sunday is a great day to bake. There is something so grounding about baking - it says 'home' like nothing else can.



My favourite chocolate cake recipe is from Donna Hay's Simple Essentials - Chocolate. It was given to me as a housewarming present when we first moved here. I just love Donna Hay. Every one of her recipes that I have used has worked brilliantly (and she appears to have a fantastically dry sense of humour - I've heard her speak on the radio a few times).
If you haven't already visited Donna's website take a look, so many lovely things to bake.
Her recipe for this Basic Chocolate Cake is below.



Beat 375g of softened butter and one and a half cups of brown sugar in an electric mixer for 8-10 minutes. Gradually add 3 eggs and beat well. Fold through 2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and two thirds of a cup of cocoa. (Donna says to sift flour and cocoa - twice for the cocoa). Stir in three quarters of a cup of milk and bake at 160 degrees C in a lined 22cm round cake tin for one hour and ten minutes. Cool in the tin for ten minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack.

I was feeling too lazy to ice the cake, so I asked my lovely daughter to add the finishing touches. I think she did a beautiful job.
Happy Sunday x


0 comments:

Post a Comment